AmeriStar Packaging Award 2021 winners announced
The winners of the AmeriStar 2021 package are as follows: Read more about it on the IoPP website here:
Winner of the Best in Show Award (The Best of Show Award recognizes a package that exceeds all evaluation criteria. The winning package received top marks in all evaluation categories) and the Design Excellence Award (The Design Excellence Award recognizes the packaging that best integrates structure and graphic design. The jury examines how improved functionality can induce consumers to rethink the product, as well as design benefits such as presentation and findability on the shelf.) Was …
Colgate Elixir, from Colgate-Palmolive (Health and beauty aids): AmeriStar judges not only rated this package as very good because of its sustainability properties, but also made it the clear choice for this year’s Best in Show Award. It is very rare for the same package to win more than one of the top 3 awards in the AmeriStar competition in the same year, but the judges judged this to be a truly exceptional package in several ways.
Colgate Elixir is a reinterpretation of toothpaste. This award-winning package uniquely combines a PET bottle with LiquiGlide technology and enables the Colgate Palmolive team to use PET with more viscous toothpastes. The cap opening is designed to distribute viscous toothpaste onto a toothbrush while allowing air into the bottle to allow the toothpaste to flow out smoothly. Designed for recyclability including a thick-walled PET-E cap that offers premium aesthetics while ensuring compatibility with the PET recycling stream. The label is a combined printed PS label, 4 colors with dual matt and gloss coating, as well as two cold foil applications and a label on the back. The bottle itself is manufactured in a one-step ISBM process and provided with an injection-molded shoulder cover made of PP and a thick-walled PET-E cap.
Sustainable packaging award
The Sustainable Packaging Award honors the most imaginative packaging in the AmeriStar competition. Jurors consider how packaging can reduce its impact on the environment by evaluating efficient energy consumption, recycling efforts and the effective use of reusable, recyclable and environmentally friendly packaging materials. The winner was …
• GSK’s 100% plastic-free, 100% recyclable secondary packaging Toothbrush start, from GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare. (Winner Health & Beauty Aids)
GSK’s very first 100% plastic-free, 100% recyclable secondary packaging for toothbrushes brings an aesthetically pleasing, consumer-friendly, innovative and completely sustainable concept to the market. This double pack of toothbrushes consists of a color-coordinated, thermoformed PaperFoam shell, which is compostable and recyclable in the paper waste stream. It’s heat-sealed to a SBS NatraLock® UltraSeal printed top that can be used as a plastic clamshell replacement while maximizing shelf appeal and improving sustainability. The top card has a die cut window that is taped with a clear, heat sealable, compostable, transparent cellulose sheet so that the consumer can see the product. Finally, there are two paper-based labels on the back of the pulp tray, also plastic-free.
AmeriStar winners 2021 by category:
Drinks (alcoholic, non-alcoholic)
• The Estrella Damm Rounded Corner Beer Cartons, from Graphic Packaging International.
• The easy-to-hold, easy-to-pour large carbonated soft drink bottle, from PepsiCo.
• The flexible Liquipure ™ ultra-mono-material packaging for bag-in-box beverages, from Liquibox.
• The MUD / WTR: presents a simple, elegant coffee alternative, from TricorBraun.
• The Dura-Lite® lightweight packaging for dairy products, water and beverages, from Altium Packaging LP.
• Boardio® – The recyclable paper-based can for coffee, from AR Packaging Systems AB. (Food that can be kept unrefrigerated)
• The Christmas boxes of the Aveda pyramid, from Graphic Packaging International.
• The Medtronic Glass Component Automation Tote, from Prent Corporation.
• Impossible ™ burger patties in a rPET VSP tray for a dramatic on-shelf appearance with raised features to allow for a wraparound decorative band to protect the product during transit, through impossible foods.
• The ThermoBox, from Smurfit Kappa North America.
Food (can be kept unrefrigerated)
• The confectionery boxes with conical hinged lids from Nestle, from Graphic Packaging International.
• Boardio® – The recyclable paper bottle for chewing gum and confectionery, from AR Packaging Systems AB. (Drinks, non-alcoholic)
Tools for health and beauty
• The pure light of Pravana, from Berlin Packaging – Studio One Eleven.
• Colgate Elixir, from Colgate-Palmolive (Best in Show Winner)
• Introduction of the 100% plastic-free, 100% recyclable toothbrush for secondary packaging from GSK, from GlaxoSmithKline Consumer Healthcare. (Winner of the sustainable packaging award)
• The card hoop assembly and packaging optimization for medical products, from Medtronic.
• The Miltenyi CliniMACS Prodigy Set, from Nelipak Healthcare Packaging.
• The Deep Blue Hernia Mesh Strand Package for Seams, from Merrill’s Packaging Inc.
• The remanufactured toner cartridge from Clover, from Smurfit Kappa North America.
Advertising / exhibition
• The sharpie spinner, from Newell trademarks.
Saves food (agriculture)
• Belle Harvest Sustainable apple packaging, from Graphic Packaging International.
AmeriStar 2021 Student Winners:
• First place: The gold medal flour, from the University of Cincinnati.
• Second place: The Terra – Nature Made concept, from the University of Cincinnati.
• Third place: The design of a recyclable Kraft bubble mailer, from Conestoga College.
Full information on each of the 2021 AmeriStar Package winners is available on-line.
PACK EXPO Las Vegas and EXPO for packaging for the healthcare sector (September 27-29, Las Vegas Convention Center) will reunite the packaging and processing community. With over 1400 exhibitors, no other event in 2021 will bring together a more comprehensive gathering of vendors offering new products, technologies and solutions. Participant registration is now open minded.